1. I was speaking to Ann on the phone when suddenly we were_______.
(A) hung up (B) hung back (C) cut down (D) cut off
2. She wondered if she could have the opportunity to spend _______here so that she could learn more about the city.
(A) sometimes (B) some time (C) sometime (D) some times
3. Ms. Breen has been living in town for only one year, yet she seems to be _______with everyone who comes to the store.
(A) accepted (B) admitted (C) admired (D) acquainted
4. He does not _______as a teacher of English as his pronunciation is terrible .
(A) equal (B) match (C) qualify (D) fit
5. Dozens of scientific groups all over the world have been _______the goal of a practical and economic way to use sunlight to split water molecules.
(A) pursuing (B) chasing (C) reaching (D) winning
6. The discussion was so prolonged and exhausting that _______the speakers stopped for refreshments .
(A) at large (B) at intervals (C) at ease (D) at random
7. When traveling, you are advised to take travellers’ checks, which provide a secure _______to carrying your money in cash.
(A) substitute (B) selection (C) preference (D) alternative
8. I never trusted him because I always thought of him as such a ________character.
( A) gracious (B) suspicious (C) unique (D) particular
9. Changing from solid to liquid, water takes in heat from all substances near it, and this ________ produces artificial cold surrounding it.
(A) absorption (B) transition (C) consumption (D) interaction
10. I didn’t say anything like that at all. You are purposely my ideas to prove your point.
(A) revising (B) contradicting (C) distorting (D) distracting
11. Language, culture, and personality may be considered _______of each other in thought, but they are inseparable in fact.
(A) indistinctly (B) separately (C) irrelevantly (D) independently
12. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaid fought hard to _______her laughter.
(A) hold back (B) hold on (C) hold out (D) hold up
13 . The manger gave one of the salesgirls an accusing look for her ________attitude toward customers.
(A) impartial (B) mild (C) hostile (D) opposing
14. I________ with thanks the help of my colleagues in the preparation of this new column.
(A) exress (B) confess (C) verify (D) acknowledge
15. It is strictly _______that access to confidential documets is denied to all but a few.
(A) secured (B) forbidden (C) regulated (D) determined